Here are some simple networking tips that especially helpful for beginners who wants to establish their career in this field. these tips provide you the details about how to optimized performance of your network .
A computer network is having susceptible security threats which includes viruses, spyware, Trojan horses, Adware, root kits, web worms and hackers. there are some tips for improving the network security.
Firewall: by installing and configuring a software or hardware based firewall can keep a network secure. Firewall is used to control the incoming and outgoing traffic by analyzing the data packets and it block the unauthorized access of hackers.
Antivirus: Install an antivirus software and keep it up to date for keep securing your network.
Browser Security: upgrade the security of your web browsers.
Connectivity Issues mostly connectivity problems can be solved by power cycling the routers and modems. but some time its seem complex and hard to troubleshoot. for troubleshooting the connectivity following steps need to be performed
- First you should check the wires of your LAN card.
- Then update the driver of your LAN card.
- scan your computer for the viruses.
- Make sure the UTP or STP cable, the both end of the cable should be properly inserted i.e. one end in the LAN card and one end in the hub/switch or router.
- Check the configurations of the LAN card.
- PING the destination of computer and then check the status.
- If connectivity problem is still not resolved then replace the LAN card and reconfigure it.
Boost Your Wireless Signal
some time walls and distance can be cause of wireless signal problems so try to keep it in the central location and away from other wireless devices. for boosting the wireless signal you can also use signal extender or repeater.
There are some tips for securing your wireless computer network.
- Change the Default Administrator’s password
Most wireless networks has a default password that allow owners to enter their network address and account information. change your passwords setting for being protected from hackers.
- Disable and change SSID broadcast
The wireless routers typically broadcast the network name SSID . this feature is unnecessary for home network, its allows your neighbors to use your network. so you should change or disable the SSID. when you disable the SSID your router isn’t displayed in the list of available networks and your network will be protected from potential hackers.
- Enable Mac Address Filtering
Enable your MAC address it configure your router to filter connections using the addresses so it only allows your computer to connect with the network.
- Assign Static IP address to the Network devices and computers.
DHCP technology is indeed easy to set up but it allows the attacker to take advantage who can easily obtain valid IP addresses from your network’s DHCP pool so turn off DHCP on the router and set a fixed IP address range instead then you configure each connected device to match.
- Turn on and configure the firewall on every computer in your network.
The network routers contains built-in firewall capability but there is also an option to disable them. make sure that your router’s firewall is turned on. For extra protection you can also install and run personal firewall software on each computer that is connected with your router.