Installation of DHCP Server is very easy in win server 2003
Installing the DHCP Service
You can do Installation of DHCP Server either during or after the initial installation of Windows 2003 Server or Advanced Server, although there must be a working DNS in the environment. To validate your DNS server, click Start, click Run, type cmd, press ENTER, type ping friendly name of an existing DNS server in your environment, and then press ENTER. An unsuccessful reply generates an “Unknown Host My DNS server name” message.
To install the DHCP Service on an existing Windows 2000 Server:
- Click Start, click Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click Add/Remove Programs, and then click Add/Remove Windows Components.
- In the Installation of DHCP Server Windows Component Wizard, click Networking Services in the Components box, and then click Details.
- Click to select the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) check box if it is not already selected, and then click OK.
- In the Windows Components Wizard of Installation of DHCP Server , click Next to start Windows 2000 Setup. Insert the Windows 2000 Advanced Server CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so. Setup copies the DHCP server for Installation of DHCP Server and tool files to your computer.
- When Setup is complete, click Finish.
Here you need to select Add or remove a role for Installation of DHCP Server
Verify the following steps in the Installation of DHCP Server then click on Next
Select Server Role as DHCP Server option click on Next
Summary selection click on Next
Installing DHCP Server in progress
Now this will prompt new scope welcome scree click next
A scope is a collection of IP addresses for computers on a subnet that use DHCP.
enter the name and description of your scope click next
Now you need to define the range of addresses that the scope will distribute across the network, the subnet mask for the IP address. Enter the appropriate details and click next.
Enter the IP address range that you want to exclude and click on next
Select lease duration how long a client can use an IP address assigned to it from this scope. It is recommended to add longer leases for a fixed network (in the office for example) and shorter leases for remote connections or laptop computers and click next
You are given a choice of whether or not you wish to configure the DHCP options for the scope now or later.You can select Yes,I want to… radion button and click next
Enter the router, or gateway, IP address click next. The client computers will then know which router to use and click next
Enter the DNS and domain name settings can be entered. The DNS server IP address will be distributed by the DHCP server and given to the client click next
If you have WINS setup then here is where to enter the IP Address of the WINS server. You can just input the server name into the appropriate box and press Resolve” to allow it to find the IP address itself click next
DHCP Server new scope installation was finished and click finish
Now your server is now a DHCP server message and click finish
Successfully you performed Installation of DHCP Server .now enjoy it!