After you install and start the DHCP Service Configuration you have to further create a scope of valid IP addresses. Each DHCP server in your environment should have minimum one scope that does not overlap with any other DHCP server scope in your environment.
When you install and then start DHCP Service Configuration on a domain controller, the server is typically authorized the first time that you add the server to the DHCP console. However, when you start DHCP Service Configuration on a member server, you need to authorize the DHCP server.
Note: A stand-alone DHCP server cannot be authorized against an existing Windows Active Directory.
Procedure to authorize a DHCP server:
- Click Start>> Programs>>Administrative Tools>> DHCP.Note: you must be logged on to the server with an account that is a member of the Enterprise Administrators group.
- In the console tree of the DHCP snap-in, select the new DHCP server. If there is a red arrow in the bottom-right corner of the server object, the server has not yet been authorized.
- Right-click the server and then click Authorize.
- After a few moments you have to right-click the server again and then click Refresh. The server should display a green arrow in the bottom-right corner to indicate that the server has been authorized.
Steps to create a new scope:
- Click Start, click Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click DHCP.Note: In the console tree selects the DHCP server on which you want to create the new DHCP scope.
- Right-click the server and then click New Scope. In the New Scope Wizard, click next, and then type a name and description for the scope. This can be any name that you choose,
- Then you have to Type the range of addresses, If you want to use a different subnet mask, type the new subnet mask and then Click Next.
- Type any IP addresses that you want to exclude from the range. Click Next.
- further you have to add the number of days, hours, and minutes before an IP address lease from this scope expires. Click Next to select Yes, I want to configure these options now, and then extend the wizard to include settings for the most common DHCP options. Click Next.
- add the IP address for the default gateway. Click Add, and then click Next.Note When DNS servers already exist on your network, add organization’s domain name in Parent domain. Then add the name of your DNS server, and click Resolve to ensure that your DHCP server can contact the DNS server and determine its address. Then click Add to include that server in the list of DNS servers that are assigned to the DHCP clients. Click Next.
- Click Yes, I want to activate this scope now, to activate the scope and allow clients to obtain leases from it, and then click Next. Click Finish.
- Clients are unable to obtain an IP address
if a DHCP client has no configured IP address .If the DHCP server has started and other clients are also able to obtain a valid address then verify that the client has a valid network connection and that all related client hardware devices like including cables and network adapters are working properly.
- The DHCP server is unavailable
Whenever a DHCP server does not provide leased addresses to clients, it is often because the DHCP Service Configuration has failed to start. If this is the case, the server may not have been authorized to operate on the network. If you were previously able to start the DHCP service, but it has since stopped, use Event Viewer to check the system log for any entries that may explain the cause.Note To restart the DHCP service, click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER. Type net start dhcp server, and then press ENTER.
Now you need to go to Start—>Administrative Tools—>DHCP
Right Click on your server click on Authorize your DHCP Server
Authorization completed now your DHCP server is up and running
DHCP servers permit you to reserve an IP address for a client. This means that the specific network client will have the same IP for as long as you wanted it to. To do this you will have to know the physical address (MAC) of each network card. Enter the reservation name, desired IP address, MAC address and description – choose whether you want to support DHCP or BOOTP and press add. The new reservation will be added to the list.
That’s it it is very easy toDHCP Service Configuration in win server 2003 now you can configure your windows client pc to check your dhcp server is working or not.